DIY Desktop CNC using scrap materials.

My first ever build was way back 2012 on this DIY CNC test jig out from various scrap materials , unfortunately it was wrecked when a flood hit us, and so I build another one, with the same principle but this time with some purchased parts such as linear rail slides, a lead screw with brass nut , couplers, an ER11 collet chuck and collets. This is actually an upgrade to make it stable probably, but I know still needing some improvements perhaps an Aluminum frame and holders, but with the limited resources that I have, I'll stick to this one first at least to know more better about CNC. Yes, there are lots of tutorials all over the internet, but without a CNC in front of you, will be very difficult to understand how it really works.

This was my first build was entirely without any purchased material compare to this one. Although still handled by Tachus42 hardware, just upgraded the stepper motors for both X and Y axis replacing the M42SP-5 low torque motor. Been having problem with that before. it skips the travel because the unit have no linear rail slider before. The first build also uses ordinary threaded rod and now replaced with 2mm pitch lead screw. The slide rail two was upgraded from Acrylic drilled hole to linear slides makes it more effective than my first build.
Since my DIY CNC dimension was 400mm by 400mm as square as it is due to those scavenge inkjet printers. Cutting it will be a waste of a perfect rod. The base are made of old woods from cabinets I dismantled and reuse. Of course recycling is a must. Local purchase is not a good idea. I wanted to make it as simple as it can but useful machine.

Materials purchased for my Version 2 DIY CNC are as follows:



Lead screws 8mm with brass nut, linear slides 8mm ID, and the lead screw nut block.

Photos of my build:






Improvised rod holder from old cabinet

Unipolar stepper motor 17pm-k302-g2v2 X-axis

Unipolar stepper motor STP-42D2014 Y axis

Unipolar stepper motor EM-199 Z axis






Z-axis short travel to make it stable

Sample plot using pencil first.





Using KCAM4 as the software, configuring the travel axis and feeds is so difficult. I have to trial and error plot first then measure the dimension of the job and comparing it with plotted by lines both X and Y travel.

Updated: I recently switched to MACH3 software and did this for the first time. Using VCARVE as the CAD/CAM.




A raised text in a 35mm x 50mm size acrylic sheet of 4mm thick.

About MCircuits

1 comments:

  1. We are truly thankful for your blog entry. You will discover a great deal of methodologies in the wake of going to your post. I was precisely scanning for. A debt of gratitude is in order for such post and please keep it up.
    linear rail system

    ReplyDelete

If you have any inquiry about the post, you can contact me directly at my email address. Click ABOUT above and drop to contact to reveal it.Thank you.